User-created streams are useful when data needs to be stored on the Cloud side, often during a multi-step process (such as where one Cloud Action returns data to a Stream which is processed by another Cloud Action) or, a third-party system that injects data to trigger a Cloud Action using the Octave API.
The topic: Return updated device Cloud properties as Commands shows a use cases where Streams are used to store data on the Cloud side.
Before using Streams in a Cloud Action, you need to create them through the Octave Dashboard.
You can add your own Streams that can be written to and/or read from Cloud Actions.
The following steps describe how to create a new Stream:
- Navigate to Build > Cloud > Streams.
- Click Add Stream.
- Click on Path. Append the company name with a new Stream name. For example:
It's recommended that you create a meaningful name for your Stream that allows you to easily identify the Stream's purpose.
- Click on Description and enter a description.
- (Optional) Change the default capacity. This sets the maximum number of events that can be stored within the Stream. The default value is 1,000 and the maximum is 100,000. When the Stream exceeds its capacity of Events, older Events will be deleted automatically. If the capacity is set to 0, no Events are saved; if the capacity is set to 1, the same Event is overwritten every time a new Event occurs.
- Click Create to create the Stream.
Updated 19 days ago